CDL Training

Veteran Rapid Retraining Assistance Program


If you are a veteran previously ineligible for educational benefits, you may be eligible for the Veteran Rapid Retraining Assistance Program (VRRAP). It offers education and training for high-demand jobs like truck driving to Veterans who were affected by the COVID-19 pandemic. Keep reading to find out if you’re eligible and how to apply. 

To be eligible for the VRRAP you must meet all of the following requirements:

  • Be between the ages of 22 and 66
  • Have been negatively affected by the COVID-19 pandemic
  • Must not be rated as totally disabled because you can’t work
  • Not enrolled in a federal or state jobs program

You will also be unable to use VRRAP benefits if at the time of application, you are

  • Receiving unemployment benefits, including through the CARES Act.  
  • Eligible for:
    • Post 9/11 GI Bill®
    • Montgomery Bill
    • Veteran Readiness and Employment
    • Survivor’s and Dependent’s Educational Assistance (DEA)
    • Veteran’s Educational Assistance Program (VEAP)

However, if you were eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill® at one time, but transferred all benefits to family members, you may be eligible for VRRAP.

How can the VRRAP help you Get a CDL?

If eligible for VRRAP you can receive up to 12 months of tuition and fees for an approved program like CDL Training through a Driver Resource Center network school. In addition, you can receive a housing allowance based on Post-9/11 GI Bill® rates. DRC will provide housing as part of your training, therefore the housing allowance is extra money in your pocket. The VRRAP will pay for all costs associated with ELDT CDL training.

How to Use VRRAP to Pay for CDL School?

Before applying to CDL School, ensure you meet these basic requirements:

  • Be at lease 18 years of age
  • Have a valid U.S. driver’s license in the state in which you plan to get a CDL
  • Have a good driving record

Well, that was easy! The next step is to fill out the full application. Be sure to mention VRRAP to your Career Specialists. It is possible to get your CDL at no cost in 4 weeks of less utilizing your VRRAP benefits. Let us help you gain a new high-paying career as a truck driver.

How to Apply to the VA for VRRAP?

Applying for VRRAP is relatively easy. You will need to visit the Veteran’s Affair’s website and fill out form 22-1990s . In addition, you will need to create an account and have your social security number and bank direct deposit information available. If you have any problems with the application process, please call the VA student line at 888.442.4551.

Once you have applied, it can take up to 30 days to receive approval from the VA. If approved, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility (COE).

Enroll in CDL Training

After receiving your VRRAP approval from the VA, immediately contact your Career Specialist so that they can get you enrolled in a class prior to the December 11th, 2022 deadline. Don’t delay, get started now by updating your CDL application or calling a Career Specialist at 866-941-9763.

*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government web site at”>


Popular Posts